Wednesday, November 16, 2011

My Place

It’s such a strange feeling, to suddenly be humbled so quickly it makes your stomach drop and your head spin. A strange feeling, to suddenly realize that something you’ve put heart and soul into is really not good enough compared to the time spent by others on something similar. Something you’re proud of is suddenly insignificant, and someone else’s hard work is much better than your hard work, probably because they worked harder.
Why is my passion not as good as someone else’s passion?
Why is my effort not as significant as everyone else’s effort?
Isn’t effort the same for each person?
Isn’t “my best” the same as another’s “best”?

Well, I guess it’s really not. Times like these make me realize that I actually suck, and that my effort isn’t really my best at all, because else’s time and best effort kicked my ass. Sure, I’m proud of the things I’ve accomplished, but I’m an ant in this world. My “work” is shit, compared to the work of the people who shape our existence.

There are people who save lives in this world. There are people who are builders and artists and entertainers, and there are people in this world who make a difference to the majority of the seven billion people on this planet, pretty much every day of their lives. Who am I?

I’ve saved a life before. How many regular old people like myself can say they’ve saved a life in a matter of 20 years? I’ve built things before, things that come in great use in other people’s every day lives. I’m an artist, as well. I can draw. I can paint. I can sing and play instruments. I can entertain people around me, I’m funny. I’m interesting to be around. I make a difference in some way, every day.



For those of you who don’t know, now, you will.

Music is the most prominent aspect of my life; it is my one true love and passion. It is my breakfast, lunch, and dinner. When I hear music it fills my soul and it paints a picture in my mind. With every byte of sound that enters my ears, I want more. I hunger for it. I want to see more, hear more, and feel more. Most of all, I want to learn more. I want to learn about what I'm hearing and know why music makes me feel so much. I want to reach to every corner of music and grasp every aspect of it. I believe it is one of the most powerful things in the world because music is everywhere. In today’s society, technology allows us to bring music anywhere we go. We listen to music in the shower, in the car, at work, while riding the bus, while exercising, and even while trying to fall asleep. We meditate to music and we use music therapeutically. We use music to help us concentrate and relax. It is used to connect people, share memories, and sometimes to promote ideas. Music is believed to have a positive effect on us; emotionally, mentally, and physically.

With my blog, I hope to share my love and passion in ways that will inspire others to feel as strongly as I do about music. The title of my blog, “Spread Thy Wings”, embodies this idea in a way that if people will open up to new possibilities and allow themselves to grow, they will gain new perspectives on the world around them. I feel that the power of blogging is similar to the way I view the powers of music. I recognize the potential I have to bring together very diverse groups of individuals from across the globe and use music as my driving force. As the author of an art-based blog, I can connect art and technology and use this power to unify many cultures throughout the world that may not have any other way or reason to make a connection in the first place. My goal is to aid the connections people make in this world by providing good music to discover and fall in love with. Blogging is the best way I know to achieve my goal because my posts are easy to read and easy to share. If I inspire at least one reader to enjoy a song as much as I do and give them a song to play when they’re happy, or to help them feel better when they’re sad, I will have done my part in this world.
My newest Pandora station- give it a listen

No comments:

Post a Comment