Monday, May 2, 2011

"Dear Everybody Who's Paid to See My Band, ..."

I'm extremely excited to say I downloaded Manchester Orchestra's new album, "Simple Math" (yes, it's been leaked). Here comes a big long review. Ready?






So, first off, Manchester Orchestra started off in Atlanta, GA, when the members were basically still in high school. Listen to their stuff and you'd never, EVER know. They're lyrical geniuses, in my opinion. The band is lead by Andy Hull, with guitarist Robert McDowell, bassist Jonathan Corley, keyboardist Chris Freeman, and drummer Jeremiah Edmond. Their first EP was titled "You Brainstorm, I Brainstorm, But Brilliance Needs a Good Editor".      ...I know, right? Anyway, if you haven't heard of these guys, now you have, and if you like Death Cab for Cutie or any other indie/rock/alternative bands, you will like Manchester Orchestra. I promise.

Here are three of their songs from the new album.

Simple Math by Manchester Orchestra
Virgin by Manchester Orchestra
April Fool by Manchester Orchestra

As for the rest of the "Simple Math" album, I'm loving the first track, called "Deer". It's really mellow, a little bit of synth and guitar, but mostly just amazing vocals and soothing harmonies. I also love "Pensacola", probably a memoir to the area they played a lot of their first few shows back in the day. The rest of the tracks are completely enjoyable; some lyrics from "Mighty"-
"Look straight in the eyes of the heartless/ you can't swing if you don't use your arms
 It's not like I was lost for a purpose/ I lost purpose and purposely froze" 

This is one of my favorites, from their 2009 album, "Mean Everything To Nothing".

I've Got Friends - Manchester Orchestra by MidnightMacchiato

The album is set to release on May 10, and is available for pre-order from iTunes at $9.99, for all 10 tracks. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment